Inquiring about the company shows the hiring manager that you are interested in the company as a whole rather than just the position.
- What do you see ahead for your company in the next five years?
- How do you see the future for this industry?
- What do you consider to be your firm’s most important assets?
- What can you tell me about plans for growth?
Asking why the position is vacant can provide insight into the company and the potential for advancement.
- Why is this position vacant?
- What were the major strengths and weaknesses of the last person who held this job?
- What types of skills do you NOT already have on board that you’re looking for in a new hire?
Learning about your department’s employees and roles in the company can help you understand more about the company’s culture and hierarchy.
- What is the overall structure of the company and how does your department fit the structure?
- What are the career paths in this department?
- What have been the department’s successes in the last couple of years?
- How do you view your group/division/department?
Questioning the job function helps you avoid any confusion later on and gain a solid understanding of the position.
- What would you consider to be the most important aspects of this job?
- What are the skills and attributes you value most for someone being hired for this position?
- Where have successful employees in this position previously progressed to within the company?
- Could you describe a typical day or week in this position? The typical client or customer I would be dealing with?
Reviewing the hiring manager’s expectations not only helps you stay on the same page, but also gives you better insight on what they are looking for.
- What are the most immediate challenges of the position that need to be addressed in the first three months?
- What are the performance expectations of this position over the first 12 months?
- How will I be evaluated at XYZ company, and how often?
Next Steps in the Process
Last, but very important question to ask:
- What are the next steps in the interview process?